Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Christmas Spirit

Christmas is my very favourite holiday. It means so much - the birth of Jesus, a time for everyone to celebrate the joy of what God has given us. But during the past few years, I just haven't been able to get into the Christmas spirit. I feel like Christmas isn't quite what it used to be...for anyone. However, this year I've achieved a very Christmas-y spirit & I would like to share it with everyone! So, I have made a to do list for if you're out of the spirit.

1. Listen to Owl City's 'The Christmas Song'

2. Watch those really old, politically incorrect Christmas cartoons from the '30s-'50s while making fudge, decorating the tree, or icing cookies.

3. Wear a ridiculously ugly (Christmas) sweater.

4. If you're fortunate enough to get snow (like me!) go sledding with all of your friends, then go home and make hot chocolate.

5. Read 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens - a very short, lovely book, which is a classic.

6. Watch any selection of Chloe approved Christmas movies from the following list: Love Actually, Eloise at Christmastime, Home Alone, Jingle All the Way, The Santa Clause, Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story

7. Attend the Christmas Eve service at church and sing all the songs as loud as you can.


I really do want everyone who celebrates to enjoy this time of year! We always get caught up with the commercial side of it. I'm not saying that some of those movies aren't in support of a commercial Christmas, but you don't need presents and you don't need to believe in Santa Claus to have a good Christmas. I've had absolutely dreadful Christmases for the last 4 years, since my grandmother died, and this year I'm all caught up in the happiness & I truly hope everyone else can be as well.


*sigh* Well that was odd for me to lecture everyone on religion and holidays, but....right. I made a Flickr account & have some of my photography up! Click here to view my profile or here to view my photostream! I'll be updating again soon. It's weird, because everyone is taking a blogging break for the holidays & I just have all these ideas for blogs......

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I did #2 and #7!
Do you mean the movies that are claymation?

I'm in my chorus at church so I sang LOUD! =]
merry christmas!

Blair said...

Great list!

I especially agree on number 7! I sang to my heart's content along with the pretty organ. One of my favorite things about Christmas, that's for sure. :D

<3