Thursday, January 1, 2009

8 Movies That Changed My Life (Part 2 of 2)

This is part two of 8 Movies I Saw in 2008 That Changed My Life. The first part can be read here. This half will feature the last 4 movies, in addition to the previously listed (Elephant, The Object of my Affection, Dans Paris, Grey Gardens).


Quebec's 2005 film C.R.A.Z.Y. remains one of my favourite French-language films ever seen. Featuring Marc-Andre Grondin and a stellar soundtrack, this extroadinary film is about a young man named Zachary, raised in a Roman Catholic family, struggling to accept his true nature but also fit in amongst his 4 brothers. Earning the love of his father proves to be more difficult as Zachary questions his sexuality and his religion, rebelling against everything he was raised for. C.R.A.Z.Y. remains clever and unique, avoiding cheesy scenarios and stereotypes. It changed the way I thought - of religion, of sexuality, of family relationships - and is a must see for everyone.

One of the most powerful love stories I have ever heard is that portrayed in Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles (A Very Long Engagement) between Mathilde & Manech. Seperated during time of war, Mathilde sets out on a desperate, heartfelt search for her fiance Manech, who was proven to be killed in No Man's Land. The task is not easy, as she speaks to fellow survivors who fought alongside her fiance and even visits the supposed grave of Manech. A Very Long Engagement is truly a story true love and hope that refuses to die.


Louis Garrel and Christophe Honore come together again for 2007's Les Chansons D'Amour (Love Songs). The film is featured in 3 parts: The Departure, The Absense, & The Return (of love, as I see it). The film begins as centering around 3 characters - Ismael, Julie, and Alice - who form a threesome. After the loss of love, Ismael meets a boy named Erwann, who, essentially, becomes infatuated with Ismael. Love Songs is a beautiful film which incorporates songs of love and (much like Dans Paris) studies how humans deal with loss.

1980's obnoxiously politically incorrect film Airplane! is the only intended comedy to grace this list and is one of my favourite movies of all time. In this disaster film spoof, the passengers and pilots aboard an airplane get food poisoning and a tramautized ex-pilot is left to conduct an emergency landing. Airplane! is absolutely hilarious and essentially nothing more than very good laughs. Maybe it didn't deal with human frality or anything deep like that, but it remains throughout pop culture as a must see film.
There were a couple more films that I wanted to add to the list, but 8 in 2008 is the perfect amount. I still encourage people to see the movies - Le Dernier Jour & Wild Tigers I Have Known - even though I did not prominently feature them. I hope everyone enjoyed this & I look forward to reading what you have to say about these movies!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

that first movie sounds really interesting...actually they all do! but i think i'll go rent the first one, cause it sounds really intriguing...

Leah P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah P. said...

I really need to watch a very long engagement. I love Audrey Tatou, I think she's splendid. Plus my older brother has seen this film. It baffles me how this is possible. Since when does he enjoy french love stories with subtitiles? Perhaps I should give him more credit.

The Stylish Wanderer said...

I havent seen any of those! but they looked good

Michelle said...

I haven't seen any of these films either, apart from maybe 10 minutes of airplane. Need to catch up.

Natalie said...

Wow what a coincidence, i just watched CRAZY in my french class. It was such a good movie, I really loved it!